After I sold the Westfield I had the idea that I would get into restoring and rebuilding motorbikes. I didn’t have a bike licence, but I planned to get one, so I thought I would start off with a small bike and progress from there.  The BSA Bantam was made in large numbers between 1948 and 1971 with more than 250,000 made during that period. They were all single-cylinder 2-stroke engines, and the one that I bought was a pale green colour, so I thought it was a D1, but it turned out to be a bit of a hybrid and the engine was 150cc, which would have come from a D3, whereas the D1 should have had a 125cc engine. So I decided to do a complete strip down and rebuild and have it painted in Black and Cream, which were D3 colours.

The stripdown, and the rebuild

The finished bike